Monday 18 May 2009

Was this a Rum 'n Egg Bar?

I have been informed by a friend of mine that the premises now used as McNulty Offshore's Offices was once a Rum 'n Egg Bar.
Certainly it is in a likely location, being along by the River Tyne and in close proximity to what was once Readhead's Shipyard.
But when I went to look at it and to take photographs, I could see only one doorway.

The long thin frontage WAS indeed very reminiscent of the Rum 'n Egg Bar I remembered seeing in Howdon during my wild and demented youth (see my previous blog), but I couldn't get away from the fact that there was only one door.

But look again at the second picture (below), taken from the other side of building. Is that the hint of a bricked-up former doorway in the left hand side of the frontage? Look at the curve of the wooden boarding above.

I rest my case.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me da' worked at Redhead's and pretty much every other yard either side of the Tyne over the years, so i'll pick his brain.

papastonch said...

I suppose it depends on how old you Da is, mate. These things went out of fashion before WW2.
But it would be really great if you could find something out for me. Now and again I give local history talks at the South Shields Central Library and to clubs and institutes and I'm always on the lookout for new material.